Moving to a New Beat: Next Steps
Here are some of my reflections on using mindset within our Early College Initiative program:
- After seeing how informative the mindset assessment interviews were, we plan to use this as a tool to get more insight on the next set of juniors and struggling students from other classes. This will be done at the beginning of the school year.
- The college project will also be assigned during the winter break for all classes. It was surprising to learn that students were unaware of college entry requirements and alternatives.
- I will collaborate with the trained SAT test prep teacher and create a more suitable action plan in providing support for our junior students. in the near future, I plan to receive training myself so that I can be more resourceful.
- Parental involvement is so integral to this process. As an institution we will revisit our parent-engagement plan so that we can create more opportunities to communicate with parents of struggling students.
- As a department, we will host parent workshops on technology for math students and test-prep skills. It would also be remiss of us not to include a workshop on Mindset Theory!
- I plan to follow-up with my juniors to support them in changing their mindset.